Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dancin'

Well, I just finished watching the most disturbing show on lifetime called "dance moms", and unfortunately it reminded me that I forgot to post pictures of Hannah's first dance class! I will come back to this show in a second, but here's a few pics of Hannah first class. She has been asking to do ballet forever and we found out about a new studio opening up in Conroe so we decided to try it out. Adalee is doing the same class with her, so that makes it even more fun! They did a "try it out" class a few weeks ago and started their first real class last week. The "try it out" class went great....Hannah did awesome and wasn't shy at all. They didn't have the block out shades on the doors at that point, so Katy and I got to hover by the door and take pictures. Last week, the door was shut and shades were up (we can see in, but they can't see out). Hannah did great the first half of ballet, but when she came to get her tap shoes from me she had a meltdown because she couldn't see me and didn't want the door to be shut. I think it was the combo of being tired and the fact that Hunter was sitting with me in the hallway. I guess they are not really used to being separated. It broke my heart because she was pretty upset, but she finally agreed to go back in and finished the class. I was proud of her for that, and I'm optimistic that maybe it was just a one time separation anxiety kinda thing. Their next class is tomorrow, so I hope it goes better.


Here's a couple of the cutest dancers making silly faces...










About this show called dance moms. I came across it on lifetime and wish I hadn't....don't watch it, it will make you sick to your stomach. It's about this "prestigious" dance studio that follows the life of the little girls and their moms. All I can say is that the dance teacher is crazy and so are the mothers. It was one of the worst examples of parenting I've ever seen....talk about all the wrong ways to build up and tear down a child's self esteem. These poor children are spoken to inappropriately and are worked way too hard for their age, and the worst part about it is that the moms just let it happen. I understand that if you are seriously pursuing dance or something of the nature, you have to have a strong work ethic and put a lot of time into it....but these are KIDS! Watching the show was almost like watching a train wreck, it was so bad, but yet I couldn't turn it off. It amazed me that people are really like that I guess.


Whew! I know that was a "heavy" subject compared to my usual posts, but I guess it struck a chord with me and I felt passionate about it. For a second it made me question whether or not it was something I wanted her to get involved in, and then I remembered....she's 4. Bottom line is I want my kids to enjoy "just being kids" and do whatever makes them the happiest. Something tells me that this is going to make Hannah pretty happy....








No comments: