Monday, January 26, 2009

Delayed gratification saves money-who knew??

Many of those who know me well know that I am a huge advocate of coupon clipping. I am proud to say that last week at the grocery store I set a record of $62 dollars in savings (coupons alone). The cashier at Kroger's seemed to be very impressed, and I left the store with a sense of great accomplishment! Each time I get home I am so excited and can't wait to tell Kevin-I think he may think I'm a little overboard now, but I know deep down he really appreciates it - you can do a lot of things with 60$.
A few days later we made a trip to Target for various things. On a previous trip, about 2 months ago, I spotted a shirt I really liked for 14.99. I was so close to getting it, even took it out of the buggy, but decided it was something I really didn't NEED. I am really trying to buckle down with spending and think about my purchases, but I did not forget about the shirt. Each time we went to Target after that (we go ALOT), I checked to see if it was on sell. It took about two weeks for it to reach the clearance rack-it went down to 10.99, I continued to hold out. I checked again probably the next week-still the same. I really almost forgot about it when we were there Saturday. As we were getting ready to leave I told Kevin I needed to check on something and sure enough it was still on the clearance rack-this time for $2.47!! Needless to say, I was thrilled. They had it in a few different colors so I decided to get 2 of them because I liked it so much. I left Target that day babbling to Kevin about how amazing it was to just wait a while for things that you want, and that I got 2 shirts for less than 1/2 the original price! I'm not to sure he really understood the big deal, but he seemed enthusiastic. To me, however, it was a secret challenge that I had won!
I realize that many people may think I'm a little crazy for making such a big deal over a shirt for $14.99, but to me it was important ( and no, I don't have to much time on my hands). I guess being a partial stay at home mom , I am really trying make a difference no matter how small-because it adds up. So from now on, my goal is to not buy anything unless it is on sale........or I have a coupon for it....

No comments: